app

Ipswich Ship Inn

Ipswich Ship Inn

Due to the latest government regulations, pubs currently have to close by 10pm. Opening hours displayed on this page may not take account of this change.

Closed about 1925

opened 15th century

27-29 Back Hamlet

grid reference TM 170 441

Dating back to early 18th century these premises were listed in the 1844 White's Directory with carriers operating from the inn to Henley.

The original Congregational chapel shown was later to become the Grimwade Hall, now part of a residential development fronting the junction between Fore & Back Hamlets - all other property depicted apart from Steam Packet pub has since been demolished.

The Ship Inn was demolished after closure and the road has since been widened. Part of the site is now under the car park in front of current St Clements congregational chapel (on the opposite side of the road to the original one as shown on map below).

The pub is shown below on an 1881 map.

as seen on an 1881 map

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

expand

Landlords

Landlords

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)

X