Bungay Three Tuns
Bungay Three Tuns
formerly Tunns inn
Real Ale is sold here.
2 Earsham St, NR35 1AG
grid reference TM 336 898
music pub, opened 17th century
Single bar on ground floor in a large room with sofas around a large fireplace with TV on the wall. Function room in cellar. Walls in the cellar room are believed to have been part of Bungay Castle. Under new management as of July 2020.
The pub was built on the site of an older building (possibly dating from 1540) that was destroyed by a fire in 1688.
The pub is often claimed to be the most haunted building in Bungay, supposedly with over 20 ghosts, including a maid who was caught stealing beer and was chained to the wall until she starved to death. In 1969 the pub hired a professional exorcist, Canon Pearce Higgins, who claimed to have got rid of all the ghosts. But allegedly he failed…
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
Also listed at Market Place.
Historically listed as a commercial inn & posting house.
For sale, the Three Tuns, Bungay, late in the Occupation of Mr. James Maskill.Ipswich Journal, December 16th 1769***
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal*** on January 20th 1770 to Luke Newby, who for many Years last past kept Lord Buckingham's Inn at Blickling in Norfolk, has purchased the Tuns Inn, Bungay.
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal*** on February 17th 1770 to John Maskill, Innholder, deceased, of Bungay and a Meeting of creditors at the Three Tuns.
An Inquisition was taken on Wm…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)