75 Myrtle Rd
grid reference TM 172 436
This beerhouse, long demolished, used to stand on the corner of Holywells Road and Myrtle Road; probably where the roundabout is now.
An earlier inn of this name is recorded as having stood "in St. Nicholas parish", but it was long gone by 1888 when it was mentioned in the proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and Natural History. [Myrtle Road is in St Clement's parish].
The case against Simon Sheppard, landlord of the Fountain Inn, Myrtle Road, of serving beer during prohibited hours, was dismissed when he proved that the men in his yard were there to collect peas and beans, and the mugs containing beer that sat on the tables were those left over from the night before. Ipswich Journal, July 1875**
Henry William Gosling is listed at the Fountain (St Clements) in the Cobbolds & co Tenant rent book at £25pa from Sep 1889 to Mar 1901 (Suffolk Archives doc ref HA231/5/3)
Henry King Jewell is listed at the Fountain (St Clements) in the Cobbolds & co Tenant rent book at £25pa from Mar 1901 to Sep 1917 (Suffolk Archives doc ref HA231/5/3)
In 1937 the pub was listed in Kelly's Directory as one of 220 pubs that were retailing beer that they were brewing.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(census information from Dudley Diaper)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)