closed 25th May 1970
opened 17th or 18th century
last owner/operator: Tolly Cobbold
47-49 Upper Brook St
grid reference TM 164 444
The pub is shown on this OS town plan from about 1880 (larger map).
Originally an Inn, the Fox has now been converted into shops.
The inn may also be listed as 43-51 Brook Street.
On the 20th, was married, Mr Henry Hacon, of the Fox Inn, Ipswich, to Miss Lucy Collier, of London.Ipswich Journal, January 1835**
Mr Lavick, ale & porter merchant of Lowestoft (met) his brother-in-law, Mr Bennett, Bootmaker, Tavern Street in Ipswich in the hope that he might derive some benefit in a change of scene...at 5PM (They) called at The Fox Inn, Brook Street, & partook of some refreshment. Shortly afterwards Mr Lavick left the room and proceeded to the Yard. His continued absence at length excited Mr Bennett's apprehensions & (he) went in search of his relative…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from Ipswich licensing records.
(detailed information by Chris Stanton)
(information from Dudley Diaper)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.