grid reference TM 167 445Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 08/02/2020
Ipswich Duke of Kenthistorical closure era: mid 20th century
closed November 7th, 1965
last owner Tolly Cobbold
10 Upper Orwell St
The building pictured was constructed in about 1903 to replace an earlier pub of same name. The earlier building was called the Joiners Arms before 1845.
After closure, this distinctive pub building was used for many years as a Co-Op Funeral parlour, but now used for retail.
To be let, a small public house, the Duke of Kent, situated in Upper Orwell Street, with a stable and convenient enclosed yard, adapted for a person keeping horses, Cabs, and Gigs to let.Ipswich Journal, October 1850**
The pub is shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from Ipswich licensing records.
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.