Bungay White Swan
Bungay White Swan
formerly Sygnets, Swanson's, Swan
Currently closed - may reopen?
Closed and boarded up. Local knowledge suggests that the pub has been sold and that there are plans to renovate and re-open.
16 Market Place, NR35 1AW
grid reference TM 336 897
bar / diner
owner/operator: Patron Capital
Small local in the centre of town, which shows lots of sport and hosts karaoke and themed party events.
Tucked in a corner adjacent to Bigod's castle, the White Swan is a building dating from the 17th century.
Reported in early January 2018 to be closed and boarded up. Local rumours suggest it's been sold and will be renovated and reopened. However, when visited in July 2019, it was still boarded-up and appeared to still be on the market.
The pub is shown (but un-named) on this old OS map from about 1903 (interactive map)
The pub was formerly listed at 4 St Mary's Street.
At one time it was run as a nightclub.
To be sold by auction, at the King's Arms, Halesworth, on the 17th Jan 1821, as part of a large sale of Independent Inns and Public House, of established trade, in Suffolk, Lot 5., the Swan, public house at Bungay. All the houses for sale were described as being substantially brick built, in excellent repair, extremely well accustomed, possessing every convenience for carrying on extensive trades, and are subjected to trifling outgoings.Ipswich Journal, December 1820**
The owner in 1997 was Pubmaster.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.