Beccles Wine Vaults
Beccles Wine Vaults
formerly Vovo, Old Wine Vaults, Harvey's Bar
North East, 52.4568,1.56408
Real Ale is sold here.
2a Blyburgate, NR34 9TA
grid reference TM 422 902
wine bar, opened after 1809, before 1932
Under new management as of 07/11/22 following the retirement of Jola and David. This popular town centre restaurant and bar is on three levels. The bar is on street level and there are three small areas containing different seating styles. The smaller area upstairs is laid out as a restaurant and the downstairs vault is used as a restaurant and for functions. To the rear is a small courtyard garden for smokers and visitors with dogs.
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area: small terrace at rear
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Dogs welcome: rear courtyard area only
- Evening meals
- Function room available to hire: In cellar
- Live music: see pub website
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Pub sells beer from local brewers
- Real fire
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Separate bar
- Smoking area: small terrace at rear
- Special events: see pub website
- WiFi available
Railway station about 0.3 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
[Old Wine Vaults]
No real ale.CAMRA's 1997 Suffolk Real Ale Guide
The bar reverted to its old Wine Vaults name in 2010, with the re-introduction of Real Ale.
First mentioned in records of 1832. It isn't mentioned in 1809, so probably opened between those dates.
According to A Smith's paper "Inns of Beccles in 1929" (kindly supplied by Daryl Ling) "[on Hungate] on the left before reaching the congregational church were the Wine Vaults which closed in 1919". This suggests not only that this was previously a larger establishment but wasn't continuously open. Or perhaps the name was re-established on the Blyburgate side of the junction in a different building?
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Some information from records transcribed by Foxearth & District Local History Society.