grid reference TM 025 426Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 30/06/2019
Hadleigh Three Tuns
also traded as as: The Tunnshistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
closed about 1911
106 High St
An advert for sale in February 1911 states:
The well situate red brick built and tiled dwelling house now or recently known as the Tuns, the licence of which has been surrendered and which will be sold as unlicensed property.
Having 64' 6" of the High St, Hadleigh and containing on the ground floor: small entrance hall, dining room 18' x 13', second sitting room about 14' 3" square, and bar with separate entrance to street 18' x 17'; long room 22' x 10' 6" with entrance to yard.
At the back is kitchen with range and cupboards, pantry with shelves and safes, store room and passage with large wine cupboard.
Approached by 2 staircases are 3 large front bedrooms with stoves and dressing room and two bedrooms at the back. WC with water tank, filled from forced pump below. 3 attics on top floor."
The pub is shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some historic detail from John Martin)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.