grid reference TM 463 554Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
Slaughden is part of the Aldeburgh parish
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 25/01/2020
Slaughden Three Mariners
also traded as as: Mariners Inn, Anchorhistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
The Three Mariners was a coastal pub on a narrow shingle spit just south of Aldeburgh town centre, which has since been lost to the sea. The Three Mariners was the last building left as the sea destroyed this once-prosperous town.
According to the 1912 Woodbridge licensing records, the Three Mariners' license was granted in 1790. Whether this is when it was first licensed or when it got a full (ie not just beer) license isn't known. No request for license renewal was lodged in 1918, giving us a good clue as to when it finally fell into the sea.
The pub originally faced a salt marsh on the bank of the Alde river with its back to the sea. The pub's sign (now in Aldeburgh Museum) was a whale's shoulder bone.
It appears on the 1837 OS map as just "the Mariners Inn".
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic book information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.