app

Boxted King's Head

Boxted King's Head

North West, 52.127343,0.636284

Closed between 1920 and 1970

opened about 1800

Fenstead End, IP29 4LH

grid reference TL 805 509

The pub is shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map

old OS map

This pub was actually located in Fenstead End, which is part of the parish of Boxted, though remote from the settlement. It's now residential and known as The Black House.

The pub was closed by Greene King in 1936 after what was described as an 'agricultural riot' took place adjacent to the pub.

The pub's sign is shown on the front of the building and a car is visible outside.

(information supplied by Peter Dolton)

This property was built in approximately 1800 when it included a mill, several cottages and a parcel of land. On February 24th 1875, Mr FM King of Bury St Edmunds acquired the property…

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

expand

Landlords

Landlords

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(information supplied by Peter Dolton)

(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)

(**** report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

X