grid reference TL 783 868Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 16/05/2017
Brandon Chequershistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
closed 1877 (31 Aug)
The Chequers was a Commercial Inn & Posting House; the building is now known as Connaught House. In 1780, stagecoaches from Swaffham were advertised as calling here.
The building dates from the early 19th century, with late 19th century alterations.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(1872 BSE Record Office details from Ken Griffin)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(Slater's Royal National and Commercial Directory 1850 from Ken Griffin)
The chequerboard as a pub sign may have its origins from Roman taverns when a board game like draughts was often advertised and played. It may also be an ancient sign to indicate the landlord was a money-lender or could offer secure storage for a travellers valuables.