app

Bury St Edmunds Cupola House

Bury St Edmunds Cupola House

also traded as Victoria Tap

Closed about 2000

7 The Traverse

grid reference TL 852 642

Built as a private house in 1693 by Thomas Macro, and for many years used by an apothecary, this Grade 1 listed building was used as a wine merchant's house in mid-19th century and then as a pub. It was reportedly known as the Victoria Tap in the 1890s.

It has undergone various changes in recent years both to the dormer windows and the addition of tiles on the upper part of the building. From mid-1990s onwards it was increasingly used just as a restaurant. Sadly it was all but destroyed by fire in June 2012. Work began in January 2014 two-year project to restore the building, the results of which were finally unveiled in July 2016.

The horse-drawn cart (in one of pictures) is a delivery from the Greene King brewery.…

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Landlords

Landlords

Footnote

A cupola is a type of dome on the roof and the word is derived from cupa - a Latin word for a cask or tun.

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

X