app

Please note that due to the pandemic currently being allowed to run out of control, many pubs are having to close temporarily or restrict their trading hours due to staff sickness or self-isolation. Please check with the pubs if you plan to travel any distance.

Bury St Edmunds Dolphin Inn

Bury St Edmunds Dolphin Inn

South East, 52.25042,0.71503

Closed: approx. 1953

opened 1830s

50 Cannon St

grid reference TL 854 648

The Dolphin is shown on this OS town plan from about 1850 (larger map).

old OS map

The building dates from the late 18th century.

The Dolphin is also listed at 39 Short Brackland (in 1839 & 1844), 59 Cannon Street (in 1855), 57 Cannon Place (in 1861), 53 Cannon Street (in 1874) and 64 Cannon Place (in 1888).

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

expand

Landlords

Landlords

Footnote

A dolphin is seen as a friendly animal that would help ancient mariners by twining itself round the anchor cable in a storm to prevent the anchor dragging. It also features in many coats of arms including the Fishmongers Company and the Company of Watermen. In France from the 14th cent. the eldest son of the king was known as "le dauphin".

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

X