grid reference TL 853 638Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 25/01/2020
Bury St Edmunds Duke of York
also traded as as: Ten Bellshistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
33 Whiting St
The building dates from the late 15th or early 16th century. The pub only occupied the pale green section of the building in our 2016 photograph.
The pub is also listed at 34 Whiting Street in 1844, at 13 Whiting Street in 1855 and 19 Whiting Street in 1888.
[Addresses for 13 & 19 may be errors in directories, because other pubs in the street have not been renumbered].
The pub was called the Ten bells prior to 1900 (some reports say 1894.)
The pub is shown as the Ten Bells on this OS town plan of 1885.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
There have been many Dukes of York - the song (Grand Old D of Y) usually refers to Frederick Augustus (1763-1827), second son of George III. He commanded the English army in Flanders in 1794-95. But the song misrepresents the facts as he was only 31, had 30,000 men and had no hills close to where he was fighting.