grid reference TL 854 640Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 30/12/2019
Bury St Edmunds Golden Fleece
also traded as as: Fleecehistorical closure era: mid 20th century
50 Churchgate St
The building dates from the 19th century, possibly built onto 17th century parts, with much older origins including the remains of a 14th century curved ceiling in the cellar.
After closure the building was used for many years as Angela Morgan's dance school.
It was just called the Fleece from 1823 to 1865.
In 1823, the pub was listed in Hatter Street. also listed at 61/62 College Street.
The pub is shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
A Victorian brewery was once located here.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.
The fleece is a common reference to the wool trade that was very important in Suffolk, particularly in 17th & 18th cent. until cheap imports from the colonies undermined the trade.