Currently closed - may reopen?
The St, IP12 3BL
grid reference TM 343 416
pub / restaurant
A cosy "L" shaped single bar and dining space. The restaurant specialises in a fusion of English and Spanish food.
It was announced late in November 2019 that this pub will be closed as of xmas eve. There were hopes of a community buy-out, though it has proved impossible to raise enough funds. Early in 2021, a planning application to convert the building to residential use was lodged.
The building dates from the 17th century.
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
- Accommodation available
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served through handpumps
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
- Real fire
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Traditional pub games available
Historic commercial inn & posting house.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on September 1st 1739 refers to J.Woolnough at the Swan Inn in Alderton.
A reference in the Ipswich Journal*** on August 22nd 1741 refers to the Swan in Alderton.
A petty session for hundred of Wilford held at Alderton Swan on Fri 17 inst.. for hiring and retaining servants, all gentlemen, farmers and others will meet with the grateful acknowledgement of their humble servant William Kemp, dinner at 2 o clockIpswich Journal, 4 Sep 1784
To be sold by auction the capital wheelwright's tools and well seasoned wheelwright's stuff of the late Mr David Foster at the Alderton Swan.Ipswich Journal, September 1875**
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Swan's license was issued in 1889…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.