Currently closed - may reopen?
The St, IP12 3BL
grid reference TM 343 416
pub / restaurant
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
A cosy "L" shaped single bar and dining space. The restaurant specialised in a fusion of English and Spanish food.
The building dates from the 17th century.
- Accommodation available
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served through handpumps
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
- Real fire
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Traditional pub games available
Nearest railway station
Historic commercial inn & posting house.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on September 1st 1739 refers to J.Woolnough at the Swan Inn in Alderton.
A reference in the Ipswich Journal*** on August 22nd 1741 refers to the Swan in Alderton.
A petty session for hundred of Wilford held at Alderton Swan on Fri 17 inst.…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.