closed 3rd March 1958
grid reference TM 312 752
The Bell was built in 1570, according to the date on a beam inside.
The license was surrendered in 1958, leaving Cratfield dry until the Poacher opened in 1979.
It's shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
Mr Richard Wayneforth was looking to sell an estate of property that included six named inns, one of these was the Bell-Inn at Cratfield, in the tenure of John Smith. The other public houses were all in Norfolk. Mr Wayneforth planned to let out his "well accustomed Brewing Office and Malting Office" in Roydon, within one mile of Diss.Ipswich Journal, March 29th 1740***
Landlord, Joshua Moore, is mentioned in some correspondence relating to the riot, outside Bulcamp workhouse at 3am on 17 Dec 1835. He was reported to have been a witness to a conversation in the pub, prior to the riot, where a local farmer, Samuel Churchyard, was reputedly prepared to…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.