The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
grid reference TM 096 567Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 18/09/2017
Creeting St Mary King's Head
also traded as as: Admiral Vernonhistorical era: mid 20th century
closed July 24th, 1959
last owner Cobbold's
6-8 All Saints Rd
The pub's license was surrendered in 1959.
It's shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
The King's Head front door opened into a narrow, tiled passage leading straight through to the back door.
Leading off to the right was the main bar, or tap room. The furniture here was very sparse consisting of one long table down one side, bench seats all round, a couple of chairs, and a rather dilapidated grandfather clock in one corner. The far side was dominated by a large red brick fireplace complete with elaborate iron spit. From this room was a door leading to a small, more nicely furnished public room (for ladies), a larger room which could be used for parties and one of the two staircases.
From the left, after going in the front door, there was another stair case and then you went down a narrow passage, some twenty paces to the beer cellar. Opposite this was a smaller public room called "the Coop" with a piano and an even smaller room that housed spirits, wine, crisps etc and the cash till. Beyond that the passage continued to the private kitchen/living quarters. Beer was all drawn straight from the barrels, there was no bar as we know them today, and to pick up and fill a glass and take it back to the tap room involved a trip of a good fifty paces. And people would often come to the front door with a jug to be filled with beer and taken home - this was popular with Sunday dinner.
Upstairs there were five bedrooms but no bathroom - it was a tin bath and outside toilets for everyone. Like all pubs it could be very quiet and we often kept a roaring fire in the tap room for just one customer all night. Then there were darts matches and parties which kept us busy. After Church was also a good time as a fair number of the choir and congregation would call in on the way home. In fact our best piano player was the Church organist Jacky Runnacles who would come and play after services and then have to bike home to Stonham.extract from an article is by Charlie Poulson, once the landlord of The King's Head Inn, Creeting St Mary - see full article here
The Listed Buildings Register erroneously has this as having once been called the Buck's Head. That was actually a former name for the Highwayman.
The King's Head was built in the late 16th century; we assume it was subdivided into two houses after closing.
The Vernon Arms is listed as an earlier name of this pub in an 1805 document. (from Neil Langridge)
The King's Head may be listed as possibly dating from 1828 - was the building rebuilt at that time?
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.