closed 31st December 1909
last owner/operator: Colchester Brewing Company
grid reference TM 147 738 (approximate location)
The Grapes was forced to close in 1909 as part of a scheme to get rid of "excess" alcohol licenses. The building was subsequently destroyed by fire and there's a garden where it used to be.
To be sold by auction, by direction of the proprietor, a free public house, called the Grapes Inn, situated in Church Street, Eye, with a most compact brewery, large yard, and every requisite outbuilding, together with a Grocer's shop, dwelling house and premises.Ipswich Journal, June 1850**
Auction of the Grapes Inn, Eye, Public House with compact Brewery, Yard, Grocer's Shop, in the occupations of Mr George MUDD & Mr Henry BIRD.Ipswich Journal, August 6th 1853***
In 1865 the landlord, Henry Bird, is also listed as a ginger beer & soda water manufacturer.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Closure date from Eye town licensing records.