Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Felixstowe Bath Hotel
Felixstowe Bath Hotel
also traded as Hamilton Hotel
grid reference TM 309 346
The Bath Hotel was built in 1839 for John Cobbold and originally called the Hamilton Hotel.
It has also been referred to as the Hamilton Arms, which was renamed to the Bath Hotel in the 1860s. It may also have been at one time the Hamilton Temperance Hotel (a time at which it won't have been of great interest to visitors to this site).
The hotel burned down on April 28th, 1914 after incendiary devices were planted by militant Suffragettes. Hilda Birkett and Florence Tunks set fire to the hotel as part of their "Votes for Women" campaign. The hotel was empty at the time, but was completely gutted. Crowds gathered for their trial at Bury Assizes on 29th May, where they both received prison sentences.
Interestingly, at the time of the fire, it was operated by Cobbold's but owned by Tollemache.…
H.S. DOWNING has taken the Bath Hotel, Felixstowe & also thanks the public for his 16 years at the King's Head Hotel, Stowmarket and the 25 years of support, he has received as a valuer & auctioneer. All 3 businesses will be continued.Ipswich Journal, June 26th 1860**
The Bath Hotel, Felixstowe
Built in 1839 by John Chevallier Cobbold as the Hamilton Arms. Bricks used in it's construction came from a Martello tower, which stood close by, and furniture came from across the Orwell, from the White Hart in Harwich. There is a reference to the "Tap" as being a detached wooden building on the beach run by a Mr & Mrs Gee in September, 1854. The Hotel was burnt down by suffragettes at 4.15am on Tuesday 28th April, 1914. From 1882 to 1906, occupied by Mr G. R…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)