grid reference TM 224 487Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 18/09/2017
Great Bealings Boothistorical closure era: mid 20th century
closed September 30th, 1961
last owner Cobbold's
The former Boot is now residential and called "The Boot". It's a Grade II Listed building, built in the 17th century.
It appears on the 1958 OS map as the Boot inn, but by 1966 it was shown as Boot House. The Woodbridge licensing records show that the Boot closed in 1961.
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Boot's license was issued in 1846. Whether this was when it was first licensed or when it got a full (ie not just beer) license isn't clear, though the latter seems more probable.
To make life confusing, there is also an "Old Boot Cottage" located a short distance to the west of the pub building.
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.
The sign was usually of a long military boot made famous by the Duke of Wellington. In 1830 he was Prime Minister when the the Beer Act was introduced to help create Beer Houses - a new lower tier of premises permitted to sell alcohol. Under the 1830 Act any householder who paid rates could apply, with a one-off payment of two guineas, to sell beer or cider in their home (usually the front parlour) and even brew on the premises. The permission did not extend to the sale of spirits or fortified wines.