app

Hadleigh Black Swan

Hadleigh Black Swan

also traded as Swan

East, 52.04093,0.95573

Closed between 1920 and 1970

opened 1642

4 Benton St

grid reference TM 028 421

It's shown (though not named) on this old OS map from 1884. interactive map

old OS map

The current building possibly dates from 1839, but replaced an earlier one on the same site that dates back to the early 17th century. The pub was called the Swan before 1870.

The Black Swan is shown on the 1958 OS map but seems to have gone by the 1968 and subsequent maps, so presumably closed between those dates.

Black Swan yard is adjacent to the pub building.

The building is now residential.

It may also be listed at Benton End.

By 1924 it was owned by Cobbold's Brewery (but had been sold by them by 1961).

In 1836 John Clark (landlord of the Swan) was reported in the Ipswich Journal as being arrested for receiving a stolen horse.

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Landlords

Landlords

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(historical information courtesy of Desmond Herring)

(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

X