grid reference TM 388 778Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.last updated 21/01/2020
Halesworth Station Hotel
also traded as as: Railway Tavern, New Inn, Railway Hotelhistorical closure era: mid 20th century
closed October 10th, 1963
On the first of June 1859, the East Suffolk Railway Line was opened from Ipswich to Lowestoft; the pub (or at least its name) probably dates from about that time. The name changed from the Railway Hotel to the Station Hotel in 1887.
Historically it's listed as a family & commercial hotel & posting house.
It's now used as offices for NFU Mutual after some years as a social club.
In 1874 the pub was listed in Bungay Road (an older name for Station Road).
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.