South West, 52.21961,0.96837
Closed: between 1916 and the late 1930s
grid reference TM 028 620
It's shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century, though it isn't entirely clear from the map which building was the Cock. (interactive map)
The pub is shown on the 1905 OS map but seems to have disappeared by the 1969 sheet. The 1909 Rate Book has "late" added, so the pub must have closed during that book's currency, between 1916 (the last directory entry we've found so far) and the late 1930s.
The date 1701 can be seen on the wall.
John and William Gladwell were acquitted of the charge of having assaulted William Smith, at the Hawleigh Cock public house. Ipswich Journal, Jan 1825**
In a legal dispute over which parish a pauper called Murton belonged to it was stated that he had lived next door to the Cock public house, Hawleigh, from 1808, where a Mr Borrett, of Norton lived for 11 years. Ipswich Journal, Jan 1825**
Cock fighting (usually in a pit) was probably a regular feature near here (typically organised on Shrove Tuesday and other holidays), and hence the name was widespread until it was banned in 1795.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.