grid reference TL 671 457Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 30/12/2019
Haverhill Prince of Waleshistorical closure era: mid 20th century
The Prince of Wales opened in 1866, along with the adjoining Haverhill North railway station. It closed in the middle of the 20th century and is now divided into two private houses.
It's shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
Haverhill: The Prince of Wales
Premises are fitted in the London style.
On the First Floor: 4 Bedrooms and Sitting rooms.
On the Ground Floor: Large modern Bar, Tap Room, Parlour, Market Room, Kitchen, Scullery and conveniences.
In the Basement: Cellarage; also stabling for 6 horses with lofts over, Yard with folding gates and Wash-house, and large Kitchen Gardens in the rear.
In the occupation of Mr W. W. Ball.Details of pub premises belonging to William Ward & Son sold, along with the brewery, by auction 23 January 1894***. Taken from the original source of documentation at Suffolk Record Office
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(***Original source of documentation transcribed by Graham Nunn)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.