In the light of the government announcement of March 20th, all pubs are now closed until further notice.
However, a number of pubs are providing takeaway food and/or drinks during the lockdown. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these terrible times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support of possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Haverhill Red Lion
Haverhill Red Lion
also traded as Lion, White Lyon
Closed 1930s circa.
45 High St
grid reference TL 672 453
Deeds in the Grace Gurteen collection*** show the pub to have been open as the White Lyon by 1685.
Graham Nunn says "Looking at the sales description from the 1894 sale of the Red Lion in Sturmer [just over the Essex border], it closely matches both the above pub description and the appearance of the Sturmer pub. The Lion in Haverhill was in the High Street. No one recalls parents or grandparents mentioning more than one pub called the Lion although it does seem to have gone by different colours! Thus two Haverhill closed pubs listed on the website (the Lion and the Red Lion) are most likely just the one premises at 45 High Street.
Hope this information and the attached details are useful."
The pub was closed in 1930s and demolished soon after.…
A Public House with immediate possession...To be sold by auction on the premises on 20 Jan 1803...All that good-customed Public-House, called the Lion, in the parish of Sturmer?, near Haverhill, now in the occupation of Mr John BETTS, the proprietor; comprising a brewery with convenient cellarage, tap room, 2 parlours, 5 chambers, back house, pantries and every domestic apartment, together with a yard, stable, garden etc. The premises are in complete repair, commanding a good local & road trade.Ipswich Journal, January 12th 1803**
In the early 1880s, Henry Richardson*** was brewing from the Red Lion premises. But by the 1890s the Pampisford Brewery had taken over the brewing part of the business to use as a stores. (As seen in the 1900 picture in our gallery).
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** information obtained from Journal of the Haverhill and District Local History Group - supplied by Graham Nunn)