The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 01/01/2017
Haverhill Red Lion
also traded as as: Lion, White Lyonhistorical era: mid 20th century
closed 1930s circa
45 High St
Deeds in the Grace Gurteen collection*** show the pub to have been open as the White Lyon by 1685.
Graham Nunn says "Looking at the sales description from the 1894 sale of the Red Lion in Sturmer [just over the Essex border], it closely matches both the above pub description and the appearance of the Sturmer pub. The Lion in Haverhill was in the High Street. No one recalls parents or grandparents mentioning more than one pub called the Lion although it does seem to have gone by different colours! Thus two Haverhill closed pubs listed on the website (the Lion and the Red Lion) are most likely just the one premises at 45 High Street.
Hope this information and the attached details are useful."
The pub was closed in 1930s and demolished soon after.
It was apparently located a few doors to the west of the Ram.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** information obtained from Journal of the Haverhill and District Local History Group - supplied by Graham Nunn)