The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 01/01/2017
Haverhill White Horsehistorical era: mid 20th century
closed 1950s (late)
last owner Greene King
29 High St
The White Horse closed late in the 1950s and was demolished early in the 1960s.
A long-term landlord during the turn of the late 19th to the early 20th century was Alfred Dare who, to supplement his income, was also town crier and bill poster.
His posters can be seen leaning against the pub in the 1890 photograph***
The pub is thought to have been immediately to the west of the present NatWest bank. (Journal of the Haverhill and District Local History Group.)
Henry Richardson is listed as a farmer, brewer and victualler in The 1874 White's Directory.
Henry Richardson is listed as a baker in High Street in the 1861 census.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(***information from Haverhill & District Local History Group - supplied by Graham Nunn)