The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
grid reference TM 033 356Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 18/09/2017
Higham (Babergh) Gamekeepers' Armshistorical era: Victorian / Edwardian
A Victorian brewery was once based here.
The building was converted into a shop after the sale of the premises in 1911. The sale advert (February 1911) describes the sale as follows:
In a good residential neighbourhood, an old fashioned and commodious dwelling house now or recently known as the Gamekeeper's Arms, which will be sold as an unlicensed property.
Containing a spacious shop suitable for an entrance hall, large front room (19' x 17' x 9' high), second entrance door from front with entrance passage, sitting room, pantry and cupboard. At the back is another sitting room and cellar adjoining. Bake office now used as a kitchen with oven and range. Scullery, coal place, brew house with Copper and brick oven and wood or hen house at end. Above are 4 good front bedrooms (2 with stoves) and dressing room, cupboards and two back bed rooms.
It has been claimed that as well as a shop, it was converted into a post office. However, examining maps between the 1890s and 1930s shows the post office in an unchanged location roughly opposite the King's Head.
An un-named beerhouse is shown at this location on an old OS map from about the end of the 19th century (larger map) and is almost certainly the Gamekeepers' as it disappears from maps at about the right time. It isn't clear from the map which building was the beerhouse itself, though it seems likely it was the long building immediately north of where it says "B.H.", which has since been demolished.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some historic details and directory information from John Martin)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.