grid reference TL 857 639Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 30/12/2019
Bury St Edmunds Coach & Horseshistorical closure era: late 20th century
4 Honey Hill
Parts of the building date from the 14th century, with much added in the 17th. The pub actually took up the whole building (both the stone-faced section and the pink one).
It's also listed in 1823 and 1879 at Schoolhouse Street, and also at 9 Schoolhall Street, Swan Lane and at 4 or 5 Honey Hill.
It's shown on this OS town plan of 1885.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
 Coach & horses became a means of transport for many travellers during the 17th and 18th cent. especially for those who could not afford their own vehicle. As regular services evolved, they soon encouraged many inns enroute to become natural stopping points for refreshments - with journeys broken into stages (about 8 miles) - and many eventually provided stabling to enable regular changes of horses. Their demise started in 1840s with the building of the railway network.
 In 1836 the Shire Hall was described as "a neat modern building, situated on the ancient site of St. Margaret's church, and contains two good-sized courts, which have but one inconvenience, that is, having no internal communication."