also traded as Dukes Head
closed 16th July 1909
grid reference TM 413 789
The Duke was forced to close on July 16th, 1909 as part of a scheme to reduce the number of alcohol licenses. It's now a guesthouse.
It was called the Dukes Head in 1891.
The pub can be seen on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
The Old-Established Public House, called The Duke, Holton, situate next the turnpike road, with about 4 acres, now in the occupation of Messrs Reeve, brewers, and their under tenant, as tenant at will, for sale, freehold.Ipswich Journal, September 27th 1820***
To be sold by auction, a modern built and well accustomed public Inn called the Duke Inn, Holton; comprising commodious sitting and sleeping rooms, stables, adapted to accommodate 8 horses, and other requisite buildings; together with a garden, yards, and two inclosures of productive arable land, containing together 4 acres, lying contiguous, and adjoining the Turnpike Road leading from Halesworth to Beccles…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Closure date from Blything licensing records.
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.