Closed between 1958 and 1976
grid reference TL 985 791
The Chequers is shown on OS maps at least as late as 1958, but by the 1976 sheet it's shown as "Chequer House", so presumably must have closed between those dates.
A Survey of Suffolk Parish History reports that the pub was recorded as existing as far back as 1739.
The pub can be seen on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, April 28th 1770***, to the Chequer at Hopton.
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, January 29th 1743***, to the Chequer Inn with two Acres of Meadow Ground at Hopton.
Auction of the Household Furniture, Brewing Utensils & other Effects of Mr Thomas ARCHER, Beer Brewer at The Old Chequers, Hopton, who has declined business.Bury & Norfolk Post & Suffolk Herald, March 25th 1801**
The chequerboard as a pub sign may have its origins from Roman taverns when a board game like draughts was often advertised and played. It may also be an ancient sign to indicate the landlord was a money-lender or could offer secure storage for a travellers valuables.