also traded as Green Dragon
grid reference TM 210 723
The Dragon was listed as the Green Dragon in 1844 & 1855. Now called Dragon House, the building is believed to date from about 1525, though the façade dates from about 1920.
The pub was very popular with US airmen during World War Two. According to the current (mid-2010s) owner, speaking to Lesley Dolphin on BBC Radio Suffolk, many of them still knock on the door asking for a nostalgic look round.
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
To be sold by auction, Lot 2, a most valuable, good accustomed, well situated and long established public house or inn called the Dragon, in Horham, with a barn, stables, back house, dairy, neat house, and other buildings, in excellent repair, and 43a 3r 31p, by recent survey, of rich productive arable and pasture land, in a high state of cultivation, immediately adjoining the house and premises, now in the occupation of Mr Robert Wilson, tenant at will.Ipswich Journal, July 1815**
The green dragon may be a reference to the Earl of Pembroke and appears on their coat of arms. William de la Pole, 1st Duke of Suffolk was an important medieval English soldier and commander in the Hundred Years' War and later Lord Chamberlain of England. He was created Earl of Pembroke in 1447 and Duke of Suffolk in 1448.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.