Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Closed either about 1935, or post-1958
grid reference TL 729 506
The Cock was reputedly demolished to make way for the nearby airfield (RAF Stradishall) which was built from 1935 onwards and was one of the first pre-war airfields to have concrete runways. However, the pub is still shown on OS maps at least as late as 1958, so this may not be correct (or perhaps it was left on the maps to conceal the existence of the airfield?)
As can be seen here, it was still visible on the 1958 map.
The pub can be seen here on an old OS map from about the end of the 19th century interactive map
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post, August 1st in 1893** stated that the pub had been purchased by Mr Wooten for £165.
The pub has also been reported at Scotch Green (1861, 1891 & 1901) and Cock Green (1871).
Hundon : The Cock
Newly-built brick and slated roadside inn, finished with two bays.
On the First Floor: 3 Bed Rooms
On the Ground Floor: 3 Public rooms and a 2 Cellar.
Large Garden and Shed.
Let to Mr. David Taylor who occupied the previous house (recently destroyed by fire) for about 10 years.Details of pub premises belonging to William Ward & Son sold, along with the brewery, by auction January 23rd 1894***. Taken from the original source of documentation at Suffolk Record Office
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(***Original source of documentation transcribed by Graham Nunn)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.