grid reference TM 172 438Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 02/01/2017
Ipswich Albion Street Beerhouse
also traded as as: Albion Inn, Albion Hotelhistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
closed June 19th, 1909
last owner S & P
36-40 Albion St
Albion Street used to run from John Street to the bottom of Bishop's Hill, joining the latter opposite Cavendish St. The modern-day Tye Road appears to roughly follow the original line of Albion Street, which helps us plot it on the map with reasonable confidence.
The beerhouse was found listed in the 1903 Borough Police beat book. Analysis of a 1928 photograph suggests it was on the north-west side of the street just before it bent left towards Bishop's Hill.
It was recorded in the 1909 Rates book as "Beerhouse (late Albion Inn)".
In 1881 Harriet Benham, a married woman from Albion Street was charged with refusing to leave the Albion Inn. However, the case was dismissed after the Magistrates heard other evidence including the cross-examination of the prosecutor.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(census information from Dudley Diaper)
Closure date from police beat book.
Court information from Kim Jennings.
Albion is an old name for Britain an may derive from Roman times, as "albus" is a latin word that means white and could be a reference to the famous cliffs at Dover, often the first view that visitors to these islands may see as they cross the Engliah Channel from mainland Europe.