app
close

Important Covid information

The first tranche of pubs (those able to serve outdoors) have now reopened. The rest of our pubs will be permitted to reopen from May 17th.

Pubs providing takeaways continue to be listed on this page.

Those known to have reopened or to be planning to reopen as soon as permitted are listed on this page.

Bury St Edmunds King's Head

Bury St Edmunds King's Head

also traded as King William the Fourth, King William the First

closed 1975

opened early 17th century

4 Brentgovel St

Originally located on the corner St John's Street and Brentgovel Street where Mothercare [since closed] is now located. (information from G Reeve)

Demolished in 1976 for retail development.

It's shown on this OS town plan of 1885.

old OS map

Map

map
expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

expand

Landlords

Landlords

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)

(some old directory information courtesy of Desmond Herring)

(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)

X