also traded as Half Moon Tap
Closed about 1880
opened about 1800
7 Barrack Ln
grid reference TM 157 449 (approximate location)
The Canteen stood just outside the town's old Cavalry barracks (built in 1795) which were a particularly important aspect of the town during the Napoleonic wars, but they were subsequently run down and closed sometime during the late Victorian period. Today the whole site is covered by both Geneva Road and Cecil Road; although some of the perimeter wall still remains.
The pub is listed at Horse Barrack yard in 1830.
The Canteen was apparently popular with the troopers such as the Queens Bays, Hussars and Dragoons who were often seen on parade in the town especially on Sunday mornings. John Thomas Olive (1779-1856) of Ipswich is listed as landlord in the 1823 Pigot's Directory of Ipswich. By the 1841 census he was at The Hare & Hounds…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(Information from Old Inns of Suffolk by Leonard P Thompson + June Georgiou (Sydney)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)