Closed about 1928-1932
last owner/operator: cobbold
24-26 New St
grid reference TM 170 442
The pub stood roughly where part of the current Suffolk College now stands. New Street evolved in the 1830s as part of the development of the "Potteries" - an impoverished area packed with poor quality housing that was mostly cleared in the 1930s.
One source dates the pub closure to 1921. The building was subsequently demolished.
The pub is shown on this OS town map of 1883.
C Borlly begs leave to inform the public that he has removed from the Bell to the Chequers inn in Ipswich, near the Cornhill; the favours of the public in general will be respectfully acknowledged by their obedient and humble servant. Good stabling. Ipswich Journal, 17 Jan 1784
Tuesday, 9th, Mr Arthur, of the Chequers, Ipswich married Miss Plumb, of Limehouse.Ipswich Journal, December 1800**
William Pooley, was found guilty of being riotous and refusing to quit the Chequers Inn, New Street, Ipswich, when asked to do so by landlord Philip Rice, he was fined 5s and 16s costs. Ipswich Journal, Jan 1870**
The chequerboard as a pub sign may have its origins from Roman taverns when a board game like draughts was often advertised and played. It may also be an ancient sign to indicate the landlord was a money-lender or could offer secure storage for a travellers valuables.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)