Ipswich Fox & Hounds
Ipswich Fox & Hounds
closed 13th June 1919
10 Tanners St
grid reference TM 159 444 (approximate location)
This was probably a later name for the Boot, in Austin Street, St Mary at the Elm civil parish. Austin Street probably became part of Tanner's Street between 1861 and 1874.
The Fox & Hounds has also been variously listed in Austin Street (St Mary at the Elm parish), at 27 Tanner's Lane (in 1865), at 37 Tanner's Lane (in 1888), at 29 Tanner's Lane (1874 & 1891) and also at 118 Tanner's Lane. The 1909 Ipswich Rate book lists it at number ten Tanner's Street.
Tanner's Lane ran roughly where the stretch of Civic Drive between Handford Road and Princes Street now runs, with Tanners Street running east to Curriers Lane.
The pub's closure date was recorded in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923 (the month is uncertain as the handwriting's not very good).
From at least 1881 to 1891 this beerhouse was run by Mrs Rachel Laughlin (nee King) who was born in Hengrave in 1825. Rachel had become a fairly young widow in 1871 and may have taken the Fox and Hounds then as her late husband, Thomas Laughlin, appears to have been a greenhouse keeper and was not recorded as a publican. In 1881 Rachel was living in the beerhouse with her sons, Edgar, (18) a hotel stableman, and William, a pork butchers assistant at the tender age of 13. They were joined by a 65 year old boarder, George Terrey. By 1891 Edgar had left and George Terrey was then recorded as being George TERRY. Rachel had died by 1901.
The 1851 entry matches the named person (Mr Green) in the Ipswich Journal report, but not the occupation.
Auction of Lot 1, A substantially newly-erected brick & slate premises, known as the "Boot Beer House", now in full trade, having a frontage in Austin Street & Curriers' Arms Lane, Ipswich, now in the occupation of Mr GREEN, Grocer & Tea Dealer on Lease for 7 years, at twelve pounds per annum, comprising a roomy shop, parlour & back kitchen, 3 bed chambers & cellar (subsequent 5 lots were properties No.2 - 9, Austin Street & formed, together with the Boot, the entire street in St Mary at the Elms, Ipswich) Freehold & Land Tax redeemed.Ipswich Journal, October 7th 1848**
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(Information from Miranda Cook)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(information from Dudley Diaper)