The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 03/01/2017
Ipswich Fox & Houndshistorical era: Victorian / Edwardian
opened 1840s (mid)
closed June 13th, 1919
10 Tanners St
This was probably a later name for the Boot, in Austin Street, St Mary at the Elm civil parish. Austin Street probably became part of Tanner's Street between 1861 and 1874.
The Fox & Hounds has also been variously listed in Austin Street (St Mary at the Elm parish), at 27 Tanner's Lane (in 1865), at 37 Tanner's Lane (in 1888), at 29 Tanner's Lane (1874 & 1891) and also at 118 Tanner's Lane. The 1909 Ipswich Rate book lists it at number ten Tanner's Street.
Tanner's Lane ran roughly where the stretch of Civic Drive between Handford Road and Princes Street now runs, with Tanners Street running east to Curriers Lane.
The pub's closure date was recorded in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923 (the month is uncertain as the handwriting's not very good).
From at least 1881 to 1891 this beerhouse was run by Mrs Rachel Laughlin (nee King) who was born in Hengrave in 1825. Rachel had become a fairly young widow in 1871 and may have taken the Fox and Hounds then as her late husband, Thomas Laughlin, appears to have been a greenhouse keeper and was not recorded as a publican. In 1881 Rachel was living in the beerhouse with her sons, Edgar, (18) a hotel stableman, and William, a pork butchers assistant at the tender age of 13. They were joined by a 65 year old boarder, George Terrey. By 1891 Edgar had left and George Terrey was then recorded as being George TERRY. Rachel had died by 1901.
The 1851 entry matches the named person (Mr Green) in the Ipswich Journal report, but not the occupation.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(Information from Miranda Cook)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(information from Dudley Diaper)