Ipswich Griffin Inn
Ipswich Griffin Inn
opened 16th century
grid reference TM 162 446
This was one of the town's most ancient inns; one of only 24 to appear on a town assessment of 1689. It's actually recorded as far back as 1528.
The inn stood somewhere on a site which is now partly now covered by the Crown & Anchor building, and was pulled down in about 1842. One 18th century landlord of the ancient inn was a man called Selby who inherited £14,500 from Lord Chedworthon on the grounds that he "was in no wise related." Apparently the nobleman was a known eccentric and had a strong predilection for the drama; he also left money to performers of a nearby Playhouse, which was built in the Griffin's former yard in 1728.
It was in the Griffin yard, that previous to the erection of a Theatre, stage plays were frequently performed by the Duke of Grafton's and other companies…
At the Wine Cellar over against the Griffin, near the Corn hill in Ipswich, is sold right good Rhenish Wine, and young hock, at six shillings per Gallon, or eighteen pence per Quart.Ipswich Journal, March 11th & 18th 1727**
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, January 31st 1736***, to the Griffin in Ipswich
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, March 17th 1733***, to the Griffin in St Matthew's, Ipswich
The Rummer Wine-Cellar over against the Griffin, near the Corn Hill, Ipswich is now open'd by William Wade.Ipswich Journal, March 21st 1741***
The Business of the Griffin Inn, in Ipswich, late in the Occupation of Stephen Kirby, deceased, is now carried on by Charles Trott, and Ann, his Wife (the daughter of the late S.Kirby).Ipswich Journal, January 3rd 1756***
Ref to Stephen Kirby…
A griffin is a fabulous monster - half eagle and half lion - popular in heraldry and often spelt griffon or gryphon.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Old inns of Suffolk by Leonard P Thompson)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and Natural History, 1888)