grid reference TM 166 441Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 08/02/2020
Ipswich Gun Innhistorical closure era: mid 20th century
last owner cobbold
19 Key St
This was one of Ipswich's most ancient inns; one of only 24 listed on a town assessment of 1689. The old coaching inn was eventually demolished in 1875 and replaced with a new building on just part of the former site.
The new pub can be seen here on an 1881 map:
These premises were listed in the 1844 White's Directory with carriers operating from the inn to Branston, Lavenham and Manningtree.
The Gun is also listed at John Street and Lower Orwell Street.
After closure it was used as a cafe for many years before being demolished in the 1970s.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some census information from Dudley Diaper)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)