In the light of the government announcement of March 20th, all pubs are now closed until further notice.
However, a number of pubs are providing takeaway food and/or drinks during the lockdown. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Ipswich Half Moon
Ipswich Half Moon
opened 17th century
86 Foundation St
grid reference TM 164 441
This was one of Ipswich's most ancient inns; one of only 24 listed in a town assessment of 1689. It was demolished in 1960.
The Half Moon has also been listed at Lower Foundation Street and Lower Brook Street.
This was possibly once the family residence of Henry Tooley, a Portman of Ipswich who died in 1551. He left a fortune which provided alms houses in nearby Tooley Street (which are still there today). The pub's "king post" was considered remarkable with fox and geese carved upon it. This is supposed to be a satirical reference to the condition of the townspeople and the monks before the suppression of the monasteries. Wood panelling and mantelpieces were later removed to Holy Wells mansion.
It's shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. …
To be lett, the Half Moon in St Matthew's Parish, Ipswich. Enquire of Mr Charles Norris, Peruke-Maker, near the Corn-Hill, Ipswich.Ipswich Journal, March 9th 1745***
Thomas Read is removed from the Sign of the George the Third in Silent Street, Ipswich to the Half Moon in St Mary Key, late in the Occupation of Mr. George Brame who has declined Business.Ipswich Journal, 29 Oct 1774***
Thursday died, aged 69, Mrs Cook, relict of Mr Cook, of the Half moon Inn, Ipswich.Ipswich Journal, May 1830**
Half Moon Inn, Saint Mary Quay, Ipswich, to be let, in the occupation of Widow COOK, deceased. Contact Counting House of Mr Cobbold & Son, Brook Street.Ipswich Journal, June 26th 1830**
On 28th November, 1834, a fire broke out on the farm occupied by Mr John BANTOFT at Burstall, near Ipswich…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(census information from Dudley Diaper)
(detailed information from Old inns of Suffolk by Leonard P Thompson)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.