grid reference TM 170 443Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 30/12/2019
Ipswich John Barleycornhistorical closure era: mid 20th century
closed March 17th, 1958
last owner tollemache
101 Woodhouse St
The pub is also listed at 73 Woodhouse Street (before 1904), 9 New Victoria Street (in 1871) and Pottery Street. The 1883 OS map places it on the north-west corner of the junction between Woodhouse Street and Dove Lane. It was closed in 1958 as part of a long-standing scheme to reduce the number of "excess" alcohol licenses and was the last premises to be demolished in the potteries - a poor suburb of the town that was subsequently redeveloped to become the Civic college and more recently the New college (and part of the university campus). Therefore most of these local roads no longer exist.
It's shown on this OS town plan of 1883.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from Ipswich licensing records.
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
John Barleycorn is usually a jocular reference to beer or ale or malt liquor and often used in verse - historically associations would be of "noble blood", usually a supporter of the crown and other traditional values.