grid reference TM 161 445Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 25/01/2020
Ipswich King's Head
also traded as as: Old King's Headhistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
14 King St
The King's Head was demolished to make way for the Corn Exchange in 1880, together with adjacent Sickle. This was one of the town's most ancient inns; one of only 24 to appear on a town assessment of 1689. It's claimed**** that King Street takes its name from the inn. It was a notorious venue for cock-fighting in the 18th century.
One of several pubs in the town that used to host cock-fighting in eighteenth and early nineteenth century. This bloody spectacle could last several hours and was eventually banned in 1835. A one time it was particularly popular as a form of gambling and bouts were often held during festival days and during the Ipswich horse racing week.
These premises were listed in the 1844 White's Directory, with carriers operating from the inn to Bergholt.
By 1865 it was called the Old Kings Head.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(***** information supplied by Neil Langridge)