The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 03/01/2017
Ipswich Leopard Innhistorical era: mid 20th century
opened 1820 circa
104 Crown St
The Leopard had a second entrance on Clay Lane and this may also cause some confusion about the pub's location. The 1909 Ipswich Rates book lists it at 104 Tower Ramparts.
It's listed in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923, so evidently closed after 1923.
The pub is also listed at Tower Ditches in 1844, at 95 Tower Terrace from 1855-1874, at 95 Clay Lane in 1879 and at 104 Crown Street by 1888.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(census information from Dudley Diaper)
(* various detailed information by Ian Wakeling)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
Name may be a reference to The Worshipful Company of Weavers whose coat of arms includes three leopards heads? They were granted their first Charter by Henry II in 1155.