The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
grid reference TM 165 444Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 08/01/2019
Ipswich Tankard Inn
also traded as as: Theatre Tavernhistorical closure era: mid 20th century
opened 1736 (rebuilt 1802)
closed September 20th, 1961
last owner cobbold
13 Tacket St
This street appears to have been renumbered at times to take account of the many demolitions and realignments along the north side.
Originally built as a private residence and was once the home of Sir Humphrey Wingfield MP (circa 1481-1545). Converted into an inn about 1736. Some of the original fixtures (including a fireplace mantle and oak panelling) were removed during subsequent refurbishments and can still be seen today on display in Christchurch mansion.
Extensively rebuilt after a serious fire in 1843 and afterwards called the Theatre tavern, as the Theatre Royal stood alongside. The pub was still listed in local trade directories as the Theatre bar in 1865, 1869 and 1874. Eventually the theatre was replaced by a Salvation army citadel (also since demolished).
By 1880s had reverted to being called the Tankard.
During the Second World War, the Tankard was designated for white GIs under US Jim Crow rules, their black compatriots having the Bluecoat Boy.
The license was surrendered in 1961.
Both the Tankard and adjacent citadel were demolished to allow the road to be widened in the late 1980s.
The pub is shown on this OS town plan of 1884.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from Ipswich licensing records.
(census information from Dudley Diaper)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and Natural History)