grid reference TM 159 442Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 07/05/2019
Ipswich Three Swans Inn
also traded as as: 4 Swanshistorical closure era: mid 20th century
closed December 16th, 1962
last owner cobbold
83-85 Princes St
The pub stood on the corner of Princes Street and Cecilia Street; the latter being somewhat foreshortened today.
In 1865 this pub was listed at 1 New Station Road. It has also been listed at New Friars Road and 65 Princes Street (1881).
Nearby in Ceciia street was a horse sale yard once owned by Spurling and Hempson.
After closure, the license seems to have been transferred to the Sporting Farmer (later the Drum & Monkey).
It has since been demolished.
It's shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.