grid reference TM 174 438Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 30/12/2019
Ipswich White Elm Innhistorical closure era: mid 20th century
closed March 18th, 1965
last owner tollemache
23 Bishop's Hill
The White Elm is also reported at 141-143 Fore Hamlet (the Bishop's Hill address is from the Ipswich licensing records).
It's also listed at Cavendish Street and at 23 Bishop's Hill.
One of several pubs in the town that used to host cock-fighting in eighteenth and early nineteenth century. This bloody spectacle could last several hours and was eventually banned in 1835. A one time it was particularly popular as a form of gambling and bouts were often held during festival days and during the Ipswich horse racing week.
It's shown on this OS town plan of 1883.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(census information from Dudley Diaper)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)