Closed between 1911 and 1926?
grid reference TL 953 364
The pub can be seen on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. large map
The pub is shown on OS maps at least as late as 1905, but has gone by the 1926 sheet, so presumably it closed between 1911 (the last directory entry found) and 1926.
The current building on site is not the Plough, but a later replacement.
Historically, the Plough was in Assington, before Leavenheath was created in the 1950s, so will appear in old documents under that parish.
The Plough Beer-House, Leavenheath, for sale, today, the very good household furniture, Implements of trade, out-door effects, 6 capital Shotes, Pony, capital pony cart, and other effects of Mr Jonathan WATTS, who has relinquished the businessIpswich Journal, June 22nd 1859***
Emily Hynard, wife of James, was fond of Old Ale, gin, singing and more importantly men. After a long winters afternoon in the Plough she was walked home by William Davey. On the journey home he was alleged to have attempted to ravish her. A week later she informed the authorities and Davey was arrested and tried for attempted rape. The case fell apart when it was discovered that Hynard had asked for money from Davey to drop the case…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.